Recently I had to fill out a “11 things about you that no one knows.”. One of mine was about my swimming. It got me thinking about what else about my swimming that even I don’t know about myself. These lists make me think about what I don’t consciously think of even. So here goes:
1. I really do wear a 2-piece racing suit so I can see my surgical scars and remind myself how far I’ve come the last few years.
2. I think anyone doing fly is sexy, partially because I cannot do that stroke.
3. My thought at 5:30 a.m. every morning is “Pool’s open.”
4. Coaches Tom Reudy and Cindy Lee and San Mateo Masters were a HUGE reason why I didn’t want to move to Pasadena.
5. I emailed Tom and told him about #4.
6. I swim long distances just to see if I can. Really.
7. I only swim crawl for open water swimming.
8. My backstroke times have always been faster than my crawl times.
9. The most important thing I do in a pool is haul my own ass out of the lane without the ladder because post-surgeries I couldn’t bend my hips that far.
10. I’m usually falling asleep by 9:30 pm because I wake up at 4:30 am to go to the pool and wouldn’t have it any other way.
11. Jamie Patrick’s Swim Camp in August 2013 was my first time really swimming open water ever.